LDAP Searrch query error

Thomas Pachachi July 23, 2014

Hi

In our old server environment we have had an search query with this format : (&(sAMAccountName=*)) which has been workin but when we uppgrade to a new server environment the search query above gives an Exception in our loga like this: javax.naming.directory.InvalidSearchFilterException: Unbalanced parenthesis; remaining name

Would be nice to receice some suggestions how to correct the LDAP search query

Regards

Thomas

2 answers

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2014

Hi Thomas, in old version of JIRA and Confluence you had to escape the ampersand symbol and the exclamation mark symbol before adding to your XML file (see here), but in the current versions you can simply use (sAMAccountName=*), which should return the same result.

Cheers

Thank You. So If I understand You correctly I could just write (sAMAccountName=*) and drop the ampersand part in my original search query
(&(sAMAccountName=*))?

Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2014

Hi Thomas, yes that's correct. The equivalent to your old filter in newer versions of JIRA is just (sAMAccountName=*)

Just one additional information, since you're using the attribute sAMAccountName, I assume you're connecting JIRA with AD, is that right?

If so, it may be better use the user filter as (&(objectCategory=Person)(sAMAccountName=*)) otherwise the synchronization may pull other LDAP objects that are not users to your JIRA application.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

0 votes

//////////////

Suggest an answer