LDAP Directory is always syncing

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2017

Hi,
I am using an open LDAP directory, and in the settings are in the file attached. 
I have about 2000+ groups and users in my LDAP. 
So the expected behavior should be that once the directory is synced it (takes about 45 mins), it should just sync again the newer changes in LDAP, if any. 
However, the directory is syncing all the time. 

I dont even have any issue with directories syncing, the main issue is that logs are filled up with this. Sync messages are always running in the logs. 

I have the same settings on another server, but over there the problem doesn't persist. 
Does anyone has any idea why's this happening? Capture.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2017

Hi Muhammad,

I see you have a ticket in with the support team.  A periodic synchronization task will run to update the database with any changes made to the external directory. This should run every 60 minutes by default which yall have come the agreement of.

In the ticket you stated you believe this should be cached.  Per the Synchronizing data from external directories:

If the external directory permissions are set to read/write: Whenever an update is made to the users, groups or membership information via the application, the update will also be applied to the cache and the external directory immediately.

All other queries run against the internal cache.

If you're not using R/W that could be the cause of your issue.  Once you resart again, let the Support Engineer know the results and they'll take it from there.  Once you wrap up the ticket with the SE please circle back and let us know the solution.

Cheers,

Branden

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

Hi, 
I am using OPEN LDAP with the option of Read Only, with Local Groups

The reason I am using Read Only, with Local Groups is because there are some groups internal groups that needs memebers to be used from LDAP groups. 
I can't use Read/Write because I don't want changes made into JIRA's side of user account to propogate into LDAP. 

According to the article you've linked, Read only with local groups should work fine as well. 

I don't think the issue is because of this but rather full sychronization not being achieved. I'll be posting a comment regarding the latest update regarding this issue on Support ticket as well. 

Tayyab.

Suggest an answer