LDAP/AD working, but "Test get user's memberships with 0 groups retrieved: Failed"

Jon March 25, 2013

Hi all - got our JIRA instance up and running with sync to AD/LDAP but on the test settings I receive:

"Test get user's memberships with 0 groups retrieved. : Failed"

I am not quite sure what this is trying to do or why it isn't working.

I get "Test user can authenticate : Succeeded" and I can log in as other users, but the group error has me concerned and confused.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

3 answers

1 vote
John Bruer July 25, 2013

I just set up JIRA on a fresh OpenLDAP directory. This test appears to fail with a user that has no group memeberships at all. JIRA will sync fine. Once the test is run again and JIRA can retrieve memeberships from a user, then it succeeds.

My guess: not all directories are configured with attributes on the user that denote group membership, and so JIRA will give a failure when it doesn't detect any. If you don't expect it to detect any, then just proceed. Otherwise, check the settings to make sure your users' group membership attribute is correct.

1 vote
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

Hi,

Weird. According to this error it could be the Base DN that could be incorrect, also check the User DN if is correctly informed. After that, try to disable this directoy and create it again, then synchronize again.

If is the case I suggest you to raise a support ticket for a better investigation, and attach the confluence log file and the Directory Configuration Summary information.

Please let us know how it goes.

0 votes
GuilhermeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

Hey Jon,

Its also worth looking the type of your Directory, try changing the directory type to Generic and see if this resolves as well.

And if the test is still failing skip it, and try to synchronize it, it could be trying to perform just a check.

Cheers,

Guilherme

Jon March 25, 2013

Thanks all! It does synchronize - my user window populates from AD w/ all my users, but the check just seemed like something that should work. I recreated it a couple times (once in hSQL and once now in SQL Server 2008 instance) and both "failed". Though, it works. Puzzling.

Suggest an answer