Know a mass email plugin?

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

I thought I'd find this functionality as part of the core product, but I guess I'm mistaken. Now, I'm on the prowl for a plugin that allows a JIRA admin to email JIRA users. Use cases:

• An admin wants to email users identified as team members of a specific project to communicate some important news.
  • An admin wants to email all JIRA users to explain that JIRA will be updated to version y.z on x date.

Can anyone tell me if such a plugin exists? (Or tell me I'm dense, and that functionality is already there and I looked right over it.)

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

For both cases, you can use the "Send Email" function under administration. Administration --> System --> Mail --> Send Email.

You can send to project roles or groups. To send an email to everyone, just choose all groups.

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2012

so in other words, i was being dense! in my defense, I searched admin but nothing was calling out to me. Thanks.

Bhupesh Nagda August 6, 2014

hi,

What if a user is a part of multiple groups? will he/she get multiple notification?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2014

Need to be careful on how you define that.

Jira will de-duplicate *user* accounts.

Assume that a user account is basically just a unique ID and an email address (such as "nic, nic@somewhere.com"). If nic is in groups A, B and C, and you send email to A, B and C, then only ONE email will be sent to nic@somewhere.com, because it's one account.

However, if you've also got "nbrough, nic@somewhere.com", and nbrough is in groups A and C, then I will get TWO emails, one for nbrough, and one for nic. Doesn't matter if their email addresses are the same, Jira has them as two different users.

You'll also get duplicates if you send to distribution lists or aliased email accounts, but that's all down to your email server, not Jira.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2012

For the second one - mail servers -> email. You can select any group, such as "people who can log in"...

For the first one, less so - you can still use that trick, but as it's only *system* administrators, and it can only send to groups (Rather than role X in project Y), it's a bit less close to what you need. I'm not aware of a plugin to do this, but there is a trick we've used; It boils down to create an issue for "announcements" in the project, ake sure the entire project user base is watching it, and comment there to mail everyone (far from ideal, you have to maintain the watchers carefully, or do sneakier things with the schemes)