Keep track of non answered comments

krasalexander May 23, 2016

Hey guys, I have such a case: we have really active collaboration in JIRA Stories comments and usually this is question-answer cases, when I need someone to advise me why such solution has been selected and other similar stuff.

At the moment all of us get notifications, when comment with our nick specified has been created, but:

• from my perspective their is no way to track if all my comments have been replied;
  • from perspective of my teammates, they don't have any tool to find if they have already replied to all comments.

Please advise of some solutions or maybe tips & tricks to resolve the issues described above.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day smile

5 answers

1 vote
Richard Ham July 10, 2019

@jana and all, I found a solution to this finally! Jira Integration Plus add-in which also adds a lot more functionality to the collaboration within Jira, particularly if you use Slack.

1 vote
Richard Ham January 31, 2017

I also have this same problem and find the below answers miss the point. JIRA is meant to be tracking issues, which it does pretty well. However each of these issues have its own related comments, eg, dev 1 this isn't executed properly, you need to do this or is this operating correctly, or dev 1 might ask, product owner how is this meant to operate, etc. If there are no answers to these questions, then the dev stalls on the issue. 

Notifications are issued by email for all actions including mentions however there appears to be no ability to track how many comments where I have been mentioned that I haven't seen/answered and how many of my comments have gone unseen/unanswered. Google docs seems to have an answer to this where you can 'assign' comments to collaborators by selecting a checkbox within the comment modal. 

This issue is proving quite frustrating so any advice would be appreciated

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2016

Are you using JIRA Server or Cloud. I'm guessing cloud from your tags on the original question but if its Server then perhaps Threaded Comments would be a better option for you. It would make the structure of the conversation a little more obvious.

Threaded Comments for JIRA and

JIRA Threaded Comments

I've not used either so can't vouch for them but would be interested to hear your feedback if you do try them.

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2016

First off, I have a problem with what you need. You are using the "Comments" right by using it for collaboration but I think you are using it wrong if you want them to be answered one by one. It's supposed to be single threaded, there's no feature to mark a single comment an answer to something OR simply make it align to a specific comment. You are using it for question/answer which is not what it's made for. There maybe add-ons for or create one but how will you like it to be? Make the comment hierarchical (cascading and each have a parent comment) then the ability to mark one as accepted? That's not COMMENTS at all, that is more like Confluence Questions (which is this website).

So the answer is no, there's no way you can do that in JIRA. use Confluence Questions instead. 

0 votes
jana July 10, 2019

would really like to see an answer to this question, the latest comment by Richard does explain the question a bit more in depth. 

Suggest an answer