Kanban for 3 teams, move issues between teams

Jake Kelley October 18, 2017

New to JIRA/Kanban, so I am asking for some help. I have created a Kanban board for my small team (Team A) of 4, and two other teams of larger size would like one for themselves. I am looking for the best solution to accomplish the following end goals:

- Each of the three teams (Team A, B, and C) needs a Kanban board.

- Each of the three teams should have different sets of epics.

- Team A should be able to see only Team A issues. Same for Team B and Team C, HOWEVER the project lead of each of the three teams should be able to easily move issues between teams. 

My best guess it that an easy way to set it up would be 3 separate projects, and 3 different boards. But "moving issues" seems to be a bit of a hassle, as we might be swapping tasks around commonly. It was also requested to have the issues in the same project, just to separate groupings of epics by team. 

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2017

Three projects would work, with your project leads able to see all three projects (and users/developers only able to see their own)

Move is a bit of a hassle in Jira, it should really be an exception not something you do regularly.

So, I would say your instinct to have one project is going to be a lot better for you!

The downside of one project is you won't be (easily) able to hide the issue from users.  But I generally wouldn't hide them anyway, as they might be useful.  I'd rely on the boards to filter and focus.

So, have one project, and a custom field for "team".  Each board should have a different filter - "project = X and team = 1/2/3".

If you still want to do the "hide issue" thing, you still can.  Instead of a "team" field, create an "issue security scheme" that has each team as a level, with all the project leads included in each level and only the leads have "set issue security" permission.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2017

Unless the visibility is critical, I'd even consider displaying all cards in the same board, but in separate swimlanes for separate teams.

Jake Kelley October 20, 2017

I have this set up, with the issue security scheme configuration. It seems to be working out okay, so far.

My swimlanes are based on epic, so I have set the epics set to each team's security level to hide them.

However, if I change an issue's security type without changing the Epic to one of the corresponding team, it gets filtered out and doesn't show up on the board. Maybe I should look into a better way to populate moved issues on the different boards. Any suggestions?

Jake Kelley October 20, 2017

Another problem -- this means that non-project leads cannot set a security issue level when creating an issue. Another case where tickets disappear.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2017

If the users can't set a level, the issue will not be hidden by the scheme, so it's the opposite - the issues won't disappear.

However, you seem to be doing this by Epic now, which is not going to work, as you definitely don't want to hide the Epics.  You should be choosing something else to define the team.

Suggest an answer