It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Kanban board showing extra assignees for tickets not on board

I've recently been finding that my kanban board shows several extra assignees in the quick-select section. Clicking on them does not show any tickets on the board. After investigation into the board query and sub-query filters, I've discovered that these mysterious ticket owners are actually the owners of the parent tickets showing on the board, despite the queries intentionally not pulling in those tickets.

So if Jill is assigned a parent ticket, and Jack is assigned the subtask, and the board's query is for only tickets assigned to Jack, there will still be an icon for Jill on the board, even though no ticket she is assigned will ever appear on that board (because the filter is only for tickets assigned to Jack). Multiple that for several teams and you have a lot of extra clutter for tickets that will never show on your board.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there already a ticket for it?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I've confirmed with Atlassian this is intentional behavior but a request has been opened for anyone else that doesn't want the board to display the icon of the assignee of a parent ticket unless that parent ticket itself is also on the board.
You can vote for it here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73101

0 votes
Olga Videc Community Leader Sep 13, 2019

Hello @DJ 

You are probably talking about Quick filters

Go to the board, board -> configure -> Quick filters and find the filters for those assignes.

BR, Olga

Unfortunately no quick filters that I could create appear to work

0 votes
Warren Community Leader Sep 13, 2019

Hi @DJ 

That doesn't sound like a typical scenario, where you are deliberately excluding parent tickets from a board, so I would say that this behaviour is most likely expected and wouldn't be viewed as a bug.

Maybe a different example would help? A Product Owner (Jill) is assigned the parent ticket for a new feature, and a Developer (Jack) is assigned the 3 tasks to complete that parent story. The board being used is only for tickets assigned to the development team, so only Jack's icon should be in the list of possible assignees because the query the board is using is only for tickets assigned to Developers. However, Jill's icon still appears in the list of people that have a ticket on the board, which isn't true, and when you click on Jill's icon, no tickets are visible.

In this example, I'd say the behaviour is not expected because the board is showing icons for assignees of tickets not actually on the board. Would you agree?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

229 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you