Kanban board clutter

rhayje October 23, 2019

I've taken over a Kanban board which is getting out of hand with the number of tickets.  I would like to be able to pull Open stories from a backlog into ToDo swimlane to reduce clutter. 

A backlog is configured but workflows for a story go directly from Open to In-Progress.   Swimlanes, including backlog, cannot share steps, such as Open.  I don't have access to change the workflow to add Investigation step which could be set to Backlog. 

I could remove the ToDo swimlane and pull from backlog directly into In-Progress.  The downside is that we enjoy the current visibility into task priority by epics that is difficult to see in the backlog. 

Stories on this board are shared with other teams so migrating to a Scrum board would be a bit of a headache.  

I'd welcome any suggestions the community may have.  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2019

Hello @rhayje

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I believe the ideal solution would be to ask someone with access to the workflow to properly create a new status and add it to the backlog, properly separating the "backlog" and "open" issues.

apart from that, the only thing you could do to organize and make your view a little more friendly would be to categorize your tickets using labels or components and use quick filters to properly select which category you would like to see.

Would one of the options suggested above be applicable to your scenario? Let me know if you have any other blockers.

rhayje November 5, 2019

I appreciate the feedback.  I'd been using a combination of labels, components and filters up til now.  It just isn't ideal having to toggle all the time.  

I've reached out to our admins to see about creating a separate workflow for our project.  

Suggest an answer