Kanban, best way to manage duplicates, wontfix, can't reproduce, won't do?

mhulse September 17, 2015

I'm using a KanBan workflow.

Sometimes I encounter issues that are duplicates, outdated and no longer relevant, or I can no longer reproduce (to name a few).

Instead of deleting these issues, I want to move them into the "done" column and package them up with my release.

I ended up finding the "resolution" dropdown; I turned this on for my workflow and it has all the "markers" I want. Unfortunately, it's always required, and when I move it from my backlog to any other columns, it typically defaults to "fixed" and a line runs through the issue number:

Screenshot 2015-09-17 10.52.44.png

I just don't think I'm using the resolution dropdown in the way it was meant to be used.

Question:

How do I handle the above situation without using the "resolution" dropdown?

Optimally, I'd like to mark issues as "duplicate" or "can't reproduce" (etc.) and have my release notes organize these issues into groups.

Am I making any sense here? How do other people manage this?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2015

The resolution field should only be added in the last workflow transition. It should not be added on the edit screen.

Once you have the resolution field on the last workflow transition (Resolve, Close etc), you will forced to set it and you can pick the right resolution.

You can also have different transitions where a resolution is set in the post function. For example, you can have a transition for duplicates where the status is changed to Closed with a resolution 'Duplicate' set on the post function.

mhulse September 21, 2015

(I had to wait 24 hours until I could post this reply due to my status … Sorry for the late comment) … Thank you Jobin! I really appreciate the help. I'm going to read the docs about transitions and workflows. I'm still pretty new to Jira, so I'm not as versed as I would like to be on these topics. I know the docs are robust though, so I'll start there and come back to the forums if I have more questions. Thanks again! +1

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2015

the resolution is always required when presented on the screen. The normal practice is to ONLY put it on a screen you use in the transition where you want to resolve/close the the issue.

mhulse September 18, 2015

Thank you for the reply Joe! I really appreciate it. I am not so familiar with transitions and how to manage them. But this gives me keywords to use when searching the docs. Thanks so much for the help! +1

Suggest an answer