Kanban: How to manage features that are developed in several pieces?

Phil McTimoney December 10, 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to move my team from Scrum to Kanban.

Say I have a feature than can be developed and tested in three independent chunks, but the feature isn't complete until all chunks are complete.

What's a good approach to prevent us from releasing parts 1 and 2 while part 3 is still in development?

It feels like an Epic should be employed but how do I manage the workflow of the epic?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2013

How about creating three sub-tasks for your feature? This way you cannot release your parent feature until all three sub-tasks are completed.

Rahul

Phil McTimoney December 12, 2013

You're probably correct. I've steered clear of sub-tasks in the past because they seemed to add to the overhead, but I should probably revisit this.

Would the sub-tasks move through the Kanban board independently? E.G. Could one be assigned to dev A, one to dev B and one to a QA person? Or are they all "in development" until everything is complete?

Suggest an answer