Kanban Board with Swimlane by Project and Sub-Swimlane by Epic?

Kevin Paulovkin October 18, 2017

Hello, I am trying to set up a board to manage all of my Projects/Epics. Currently, I am using a Saved Filter with Swimlanes based on Projects. The problem is that all the Tasks from the Epics in a Project are all mixed together, which makes it hard to manage on an Epic by Epic level.

Is there a good way to filter down the board further so my tasks underneath Each Project Swimlane are ordered by Epics as well? Ideally, it would be nice to have sub-swimlanes to accomplish this.

I tried changing my Saved Filter to be ordered by Epic which sort of does what I'm looking for. The problem with this approach is that ranking is then disabled and I can't re-arrange tasks within the same column.

I also tried using Swimlanes based on Epics, but then it gets a little difficult to know which project the Epic falls under.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2017

@Kevin Paulovkin, take a look at quickfilters:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver0817/configuring-quick-filters-1072472193.html.

You could create one for each epic and leave your swimlanes by project (or vice versa).  They clicking one of the links would filter out all the other noise.

pd

Kevin Paulovkin October 20, 2017

Thanks @Peter DeWitt, good idea!

0 votes
Sayi Kiran March 2, 2022

I am unable to open link given by Peter. Please provide correct link. I am also looking for nested swimlanes

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2022

@Sayi Kiran I update the link in my answer above.

Suggest an answer