Just checking migrate proces

hi,

I'm still busy with migration JIRA from Windows 2003 to Windows 2012. I have setup some steps, but I'm not 100% sure if I got everything covered. Can somebody review these steps:

1. Download MySQL, JIRA and Plugins
  2. create a databasebackup
  3. Install and setup MySQL
  4. Install and setup JIRA
  5. install and setup plugins
  6. import databasebackup
  7. start re-index

Is this correct or am I missing some steps? 

2 answers

0 vote

5.5 copy the home directory from old server to new server

You mention "database backup" - is that a mysqldump (which I'd recommend) or the export/import built into Jira?

do I understand your remark correctly that the database import will install the plugins?

Good point, I will fill out the start and stop moments

hi Nic,

Can you please let me know if my assumption is the right one?

Sort of. The home directory copy will pull in the plugins, the database import all the config for them. What I can't remember is if the database import will pull in the actual .jar files (it does in Confluence). I never needed to know, because copying the home directory includes them.

ok, I already did install the plugins. importing the database won't hurt that?

Importing the database will scrub the lot. That's intentional. Your installation of the plugins has proved that the application is good to support the incoming data though.

I knew that I was missing something, thanks!

yes, by recommedation I will use the mysqldump. I have created a bat file to run the dump outside office times.

do I need to setup JIRA and the plugins or will all settings be set by the databasedump?

You don't need to do the setup + plugins, just install a plain Jira. The rest of your process will get the plugins. I'd fill out your plan a bit more with explicit stop/start points - you want it down when you do any of the database work. I'd also add in a quick check on the plugins after the import - go into "manage plugins" and check all the ones you expect are there and working. And check for updates to them too.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

691 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you