Joining Various Tables - Jira

David Lund May 25, 2017

Hello,

I am new to the Jira Schema, but I'm trying to join a few tables and can't figure out which ID relates to others in the tables.. I attempted to review this:

https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/files/4227160/45525621/1/1486695169318/jira70_schema.pdf

which made my head hurt a bit! Can anybody help me figure out how to join these tables....

.Project

.JiraIssue

.IssueType

.ChangeGroup

.ChangeItem

.CustomField

.CustomFieldValue

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

Reading the JIRA database is usually a terrible way to do anything, as it's "designed" to be a datastore for JIRA, not any form or reporting tool.

Could you explain what you are trying to achieve?  As there is a better way to do it than using the database.

-----

But, to answer the technical part, start with the JiraIssue table.  That has

A project field, which you can use to read the project table

An issuetype field which contains an id that is the id in the issuetype table

an issue id on it (a unique immutiable one, not the ones the humans see)

The issue id can be used to find a ChangeGroup record, which is a container for the lines of history with a date and user on them.  You use the id in the changegroup to identify the changeitem lines that belong to a group, and those tell you each field that changed during that update

CustomField is a header table, describing what the custom fields are

CustomFieldValue contains the actual values for issues - you'll find the issue id and the CustomField.ID on them to tell you which issue data is hed in which field.

As you can see from that, it's really not a nice layout for reporting.  Hence the advice that you don't want to do it this way.

Suggest an answer