JiraCloud Link to Confluence while Creating New Issue

Eugene Dementiev December 14, 2018

When I am creating an issue in Jira Cloud, I need to link to Confluence pages in the issue description.

Is there a way to trigger a small popup with search bar and list of suggested items, like there is when editing the issue in the 2018 new issue view?

Right now I have to open Confluence, find the page, copy its URL, paste the URL into the issue description text box and edit the link so that its display text is shorter.

Anyone knows a better way?

I know I can create an issue with a blank description and then edit it with this functionality, but surely this is a backwards method of working with Jira.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Qu3ntin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2018

Hi, @Eugene Dementiev,

I know I can create an issue with a blank description and then edit it with this functionality, but surely this is a backwards method of working with Jira.

This is the path Atlassian seems to take. The most standard way to create issue is now :

• Use the create issue shortcut - Select issue type and enter summary
  • Edit the rest directly in the backlog view or in the issue view

Actually, only the description wizard on a created issue allow you to select any link inside your product (JIRA, Confluence).

And I don't know if Atlassian will update the wizard for the creation screens.

Eugene Dementiev December 17, 2018

That's quite disappointing and poor in my opinion... Will Jira not send out an email about the new issue before I properly edit it? (Given that it is set to notify by email when new issues are created).

Actually, only the description wizard on a created issue allow you to select any link inside your product (JIRA, Confluence).

And I don't know if Atlassian will update the wizard for the creation screens.

I think their problem is that they have too many interfaces that do essentially the same thing but are driven by different code. They had three interfaces: new issue, edit issue on Kanban and edit issue standalone, and all of them used to work slightly differently.

I guess that to address this problem they introduced a new interface for editing issues that seems to be the same now for viewing/editing in standalone mode and in Kanban, but has less functionality overall. I hope that they will bring it up to par to the previous interfaces, but not very confident it will happen.

Any way, thanks for confirming it wasn't just me being crazy, but there actually isn't a way of achieving this in the current interface.

0 votes
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2018

Why not have the Confluence page open and create the issue(s) from there. Just highlight plan text in the Confluence page and turn it into a JIRA issue and the link will be made.

Eugene Dementiev December 16, 2018

Because I might want to make a link to several things. For example, a couple of Confluence pages and refer to them like "see X for this and Y for that" where X and Y are the confluence pages (possibly from different spaces).

Suggest an answer