Jira wouldn't start

Girish V Nair September 15, 2016

Hello I installed JIRA as follows:

wget https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/downloads/binary/atlassian-servicedesk-3.2.0-x64.bin

./atlassian-servicedesk-3.2.0-x64.bin

chmod -R 755 /opt/atlassian/

chown -R jira.jira /opt/atlassian/

chown -R jira.jira /var/atlassian/

chmod -R 755 /var/atlassian/

su - JIRA

/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/start-jira.sh

However I am not able to start JIRA as JIRA is getting locked by setting :

/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/.jira-home.lock

I tried removing the lock and restarting but no progress

catlina.out says:

X----------------------------------------X

2016-09-16 08:11:12,474 localhost-startStop-2 ERROR      [o.a.c.c.C.[Catalina].[localhost].[/]] Exception sending context destroyed event to listener instance of class com.atlassian.jira.startup .LauncherContextListener java.lang.NullPointerException         at com.atlassian.jira.startup.ClusteringLauncher.stop(ClusteringLauncher.java:25)         at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.stop(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:203)         at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.contextDestroyed(LauncherContextListener.java:195)         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStop(StandardContext.java:4858)         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stopInternal(StandardContext.java:5474)         ... 3 filtered         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) 16-Sep-2016 08:11:12.623 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [ROOT] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@41ba6647]) and a value of type [com.atlassian.jira.tenancy.JiraTenantImpl] (value [JiraTenantImpl{id='fakeTenantId'}]) but failed to re move it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak. 16-Sep-2016 08:11:12.624 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [ROOT] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@3ad684d6]) and a value of type [com.atlassian.core.xml.InterningDocumentFactory] (value [com.atlassian.core.xml.InterningDocumentFactor y@7ca96bb4]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak. 16-Sep-2016 08:11:12.624 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [ROOT] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [webwork.action.ActionContext$1] (value [webwork.action.ActionContext$1@15fdb90b]) and a value of type [webwork.action.ActionContext] (value [webwork.action.ActionContext@385768a4]) but fai led to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak. 16-Sep-2016 08:11:12.624 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [ROOT] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@1ea82f6]) and a value of type [com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.SearcherCache] (value [com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.SearcherCache@79a75 621]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak. 16-Sep-2016 08:11:12.657 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.stop Stopping ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8080"] :Connection to 10.0.2.210 closed by remote host.

X----------------------------------------X

Thanks for the help in advance

1 answer

0 votes
noamdah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2016

The Linux syntax for change owner is:

chown -R user:group /some/file.txt

Anyways you do not need to do so.

Do you already have JIRA installed on that server? If so there is no need to install service desk via the vm as it is an add-on for jira.

1. Log in as a user with the JIRA Administrators global permission.
  2. Choose  > Applications
  3. Download JIRA service desk add-on

If you do not have JIRA installed on the vm then i suggest you uninstall the the current installation:

cd /opt/atlassian/jira/

./uninstall

rm -rf /opt/Atlassian

rm -rf /var/Atlassian

Make sure you are root user

./atlassian-servicedesk-3.2.0-x64.bin

That's it the app will start automatically once installed

You can monitor if it is up by:

ps aux | grep java

Girish V Nair September 16, 2016

Hi Noam,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

However,

I am trying to install JIRA service desk in datacentre clustering mode. The linux command which I executed works  and changes permissions to user and group 'jira'. I don't have anything installed and am not able to get http://localhost:8080

Earlier I had managed to install it with same steps but with a different version (3.1.0)

Now the setup even fails to start a single instance installation.

Also I had attempted to install using the root user. And it created JIRA user.

Regards,

noamdah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2016

To install data center env check out this link.

Suggest an answer