Jira workflow is it possible to run 2 parallel processes in one issue?

Tamara Schneider June 12, 2016

I have 1 workflow starting from Team A and then in the beginning moving to Team B.

Later the process splits in 2 and Team B & Team C are working parallel to each other on their on tasks in the same issue.

Is it possible to separate the flow so that Team B works on their flow and Team C works on the other flow?

Is there maybe a function to automatically open Sub-tasks with a template that will then be assigned to the specific team and once the sub-tasks are done - the general workflow continues?

2 answers

0 votes
Tamara Schneider June 13, 2016

Thank you Petar for your fast reply. Is the Sub-task solution available for "cloud" as well? - All the solutions i am finding are related to "server".

Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

Sorry, I did not notice the cloud tags in your question. There is no Script Runner for cloud (yet) so no, you can't use that solution right now with JIRA Cloud.

You might want to check out this add-on: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.redmoon.subtaskmanager.jira/cloud/overview. It's supposed to have what you need, but I have not personally used it so I cannot say if it will work for you.

0 votes
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2016

You are absolutely correct - the smart way to do this is via sub-tasks. Each team that needs to do some work in parallel with the others has its own subtask with its own workflow. You can use Script Runner to create the necessary sub-tasks with workflow post-functions.

Watch Jamie Echlin talk about exactly this scenario here (at 14:00): http://www.idalko.com/display/IW/Event+Pres+Adaptavist.

Suggest an answer