Jira workflow export not including screens and custom fields

prashant mandhare August 20, 2014

I have created a custom workflow + new screen + few custom fields on my test Jira environment. Exported this workflow, and tried to import in production Jira instance, but I see that only workflow is imported, not the related screens and custom fields in theat screen

Following are the details about my workflow:

• First created new custom fields
  • created new screen using these custom fields
  • created new workflow and assigned above screen to a transition.

Export procedure:

• opened workflow in view mode
  • exported as workflow (not xml)

import procedure on another Jira instance:

• imported the .jwb file
  • On final import confirmation page, I saw that Jira detected only workflow stated, and not screens and custom fields.
  • After import, cannot see screen and custom fields in system.

I was under impression that if custom fields are included in screen which is attached to workflow transition, then it should be automatically included in workflow .jwb export. But it's not working, can anyone point me to solution?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2014

Fields and screens are NOT part of the workflow. They are configured in Jira and then referred to (if needed) by the workflow.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that they are in the workflow from. You will need to create supporting screens and fields in the target Jira if you want to move a workflow from one system to another (without using a workflow bundle)

@Nic: take example of following workflow from marketplace- https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.workflow.bundles.recruitmentworkflow

when I import this workflow, along with states, it does import screens and custom fields. please find attached import screenshot as proof of this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2014

Sounds like you have used the standard export and not a Jira workflow bundle - that's what my answer was about.

I did use Jira workflow export, and not simple XML export. Exported file was with JWB extension.

Deleted user June 25, 2015

Ummm. Is there an answer for this? I'm about to attempt the same scenario...export to JWB file and import to a separate JIRA instance. This will save me a LOT of time if it works. I'm using JIRA 6.3.10 The discussion seems to have ended on an inconclusive note.

Philip Armour February 10, 2017

I have tried this out myself and it is true that screens and custom fields are imported when you import a workflow into JIRA Server from a .jwb file. I exported a workflow with 1 screen and 3 custom fields associated ('As Workflow' to .jwb file) from a JIRA 7.3 instance. I then imported it into a JIRA 6.3 instance. The screen and custom fields were created when the workflow was imported.

Mahesh Pawar July 17, 2018

Hi Philip, just a questions,

Let's say you imported from JiraA to JiraB(using jwb not xml).

& now JiraB has whole new set of Screen & custom fields.

Question 1: Is the custom fields in JIRAB has same ID as JiraB?

Question 2: were status also created? if yes does they have same transtionID as earlier.

Philip Armour July 17, 2018

Hi Mahesh,

it is a while since I played around with this. The JWB export-import method is designed to assist you create the dependencies you need when moving a workflow, such as statuses, screens and custom fields. I believe there is no guarantee that IDs will remain the same, although I have not tested this.

In your example, JIRA B may already have a different custom field or status with the IDs used in JIRA A - so there may be a conflict.

Why not try this yourself and post the result here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2018

To save your testing - you're right, the IDs of things not in the workflow (i.e. transitions) will change.  They have to, as the target Jira will not be in the same place as the source and could easily have the incoming ids.  It treats all the incoming config as "new".

Mahesh Pawar July 18, 2018

Thanks Nic, while testing i found the same, new statuses were created for those which was not part of the Jira earlier.

Thanks Philip.

lececere February 13, 2020

I've tried to export my workflow with custom fields and screens from our DEV environment and import into PROD and none of my custom fields or screens are coming over. I'm doing a workflow export (jwb) not xml. During the export process, it is clear that it isn't picking up the screens and fields. 

This documentation implies that custom fields are brought over in the jwb import:https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver075/sharing-your-workflow-935391429.html#Sharingyourworkflow-Customfieldsinworkflowimports

My custom fields haven't been disabled. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer