Jira with hidden projects

Can an administrator create a hidden project where they will manage only personal tasks and the like that is separate from the main instance? Can this be deployed in a case where there is more than one admin? So the one admin can't access the other admin's hidden project?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

Yes, nearly.

The most simple approach is to create a permission scheme that says "Browse = person X only". The project and issues within it will be invisible to all other users, including administrators.

However, system administrators WILL be able to see the project listed as there, and they will be able to amend the settings that are protecting it.

Basically, although you can be mean to users, you have to trust your administrators. (And DBAs, and root users on your servers)

So regular adminstrators won't be able to see the project, but System Admins will? As long as the "regular admin" can perform most everything else inside of Jira that isn't system related that should work.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "regular admins". System admins and Jira admins WILL be able to maintain the projects. Project admins (And users) will not.

"The project and issues within it will be invisible to all other users, including administrators.

However, system administrators WILL be able to see the project listed as there, and they will be able to amend the settings that are protecting it."

So the admins can't see the project unless they go into the system admin area? I simply need to know if they can access it in any way, which I think you're saying they can.

Apparently I can only post once in 24 hours. Seems odd to have the restriction for a new user.

That's what I said, yes. Although I didn't say "it's only visible when directly using the system admin functions". Even there, they won't see issue data, just the project header (which they can then change to allow themselves access)

I suspect the 24 hour thing is because Answers has been attacked by spammers - the high-karma users can remove spam accounts, but we were struggling to keep up. My guess is that once your karma is high enough, or you've been here for a while, you'll be able to post more often.

solved, answered, etc

To close it, mark one of the answers as correct

I don't see that option.

It's the "correct tick" mark to the left of the answers

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,329 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot