Jira with hidden projects

Jack Hanks September 17, 2013

Can an administrator create a hidden project where they will manage only personal tasks and the like that is separate from the main instance? Can this be deployed in a case where there is more than one admin? So the one admin can't access the other admin's hidden project?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2013

Yes, nearly.

The most simple approach is to create a permission scheme that says "Browse = person X only". The project and issues within it will be invisible to all other users, including administrators.

However, system administrators WILL be able to see the project listed as there, and they will be able to amend the settings that are protecting it.

Basically, although you can be mean to users, you have to trust your administrators. (And DBAs, and root users on your servers)

Jack Hanks September 18, 2013

So regular adminstrators won't be able to see the project, but System Admins will? As long as the "regular admin" can perform most everything else inside of Jira that isn't system related that should work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2013

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "regular admins". System admins and Jira admins WILL be able to maintain the projects. Project admins (And users) will not.

Jack Hanks September 22, 2013

"The project and issues within it will be invisible to all other users, including administrators.

However, system administrators WILL be able to see the project listed as there, and they will be able to amend the settings that are protecting it."

So the admins can't see the project unless they go into the system admin area? I simply need to know if they can access it in any way, which I think you're saying they can.

Apparently I can only post once in 24 hours. Seems odd to have the restriction for a new user.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2013

That's what I said, yes. Although I didn't say "it's only visible when directly using the system admin functions". Even there, they won't see issue data, just the project header (which they can then change to allow themselves access)

I suspect the 24 hour thing is because Answers has been attacked by spammers - the high-karma users can remove spam accounts, but we were struggling to keep up. My guess is that once your karma is high enough, or you've been here for a while, you'll be able to post more often.

Jack Hanks September 24, 2013

solved, answered, etc

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2013

To close it, mark one of the answers as correct

Jack Hanks September 24, 2013

I don't see that option.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2013

It's the "correct tick" mark to the left of the answers

Suggest an answer