Jira version upgrade & user dashboards

Stefan T. June 24, 2012

We plan to upgrade our Jira version 3.13.3 to 5.0.x. We use Jira a lot for project monitoring / reporting and most users (1500 total) have between 2 and 5 personal dashboards configured. One of their major concerns about this upgrade is that they don't want to spend time on configuring their dashboards again.

Question is: Are user dashboards migrated during the upgrade from 3.13.3 to 5.0.x along with the issue data?

3 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2012

Hi Stefan,

I think they should be migrated. But the migration from 3.13 to 5 has a very long migration path. I would first update a test installation of your Jira 3.13. There you can see, if the dashboards are all migrated the way you expect.

Have a look at this site also: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Dashboard+Fails+after+Upgrading+or+Importing

Best regards

Thomas

0 votes
Nica Huestegge August 7, 2012

It does depend on the plugins you have installed. When we updated in the past, we had some problems in the dashboards because one plugin or another didn't upgrade with jira.

You'll have to do a full update test to be sure.

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2012

Usually JIRA upgrades all user data as well including Dashboards and Filters etc.

We have tried many times from 4.x.x. So, should work with 3.x.

Better try in a test enviornment before moves with production. Also, I think you can't directly go to 5.x from 3.x.

Suggest an answer