Jira (version 6) freezes with 1.8 million issues. Can anyone contribute with alternatives or validating some ideas?

Fernando Celarino May 2, 2016

I have a lot of data today in a custom JIRA but when it reaches 1.8 million issues it stops working. 

I´m looking for scalability alternatives but I'm not sure if the licensing model allows me to do it ( the text of license is not so specific...)

• Is it possible to scale JIRA in a cloud (AWS), with multiple instance without additional costs?
  • is it possible to modify database schema? i know that all the issues are stored in a single table, if a could split in different tables I would decrease the load
  • Is it possible to separate JIRA in a web server and multiple database instances with replication without additional costs?

If anyone has more alternatives I will be glad to hear all of them smile

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2016

The bad news first:

>Is it possible to scale JIRA in a cloud (AWS)

No.

>is it possible to modify database schema?

Absolutely no, it has no idea of how you'd handle separate tables

>Is it possible to separate JIRA in a web server and multiple database instances with replication without additional costs?

Nope, it doesn't do any clustering at all

The better news is actually very simple - JIRA data centre is where you need to go.  (The other option is to archive and delete issues, but that has it's own set of complexities)  See https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/data-center

Fernando Celarino May 3, 2016

Thanks a lot for your answer. Just a quick question: Jira's license are a user tier based right? "user tied based" means number of users or means number of web instances? In this case I could scale the database right?

I'm just exploring solutions and trying to figure out if there is a way out. I checked Data Center and it increases my cost seven times in average....

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2016

It's the number of active users on licences.

I've no idea what you mean by "scale the database".

Scale the database means using a database server and cluster it in AWS for example... 

I don't know if it makes sense in this case...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2016

Ok.  However you do that, bear in mind that

1) JIRA works on a single datasource.  You can do what you want behind the scenes, but it must look like a single datasource

2) It's very rare that the database is the problem when JIRA starts to creak.  The bottlenecks are usually in the index and application server.

Thanks a lot for the information smile

Specially the item 2 helps me a lot... 

2 votes
Rui Rodrigues
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2016

Hi Fernando,

Check this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/java-8-improves-jira-application-performance-dramatically-689212368.html

We've some customers with a similar issue. That solution has solved the problem.

Check if it's your situation too.

Thanks.

Cheers,

RMRodrigues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2016

Use a later version of JIRA and Java is almost always a good answer to performance issues smile

Suggest an answer