Jira users vs administrators vs bots

vladimir February 26, 2013

Hi,

Question regarding Jira. We have 5 people at teh company. This is "under 10 users" license.

But I want our clients to ask questions and find answers using Jira. Does this mean that every client is added as a user?

1. Is there a way for administrators to be users, but clients are not users. If yes, then what will be the limitations for the clients?

2. Also what about "bots", what if they register?! Do they become users?

Thank you for the answer.

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2013

Hi Vladimir,

everyone who has the ability to login to your Jira System needs a license. You can make your projects visible to everyone in your permission scheme (Browse Project). Have a look here . But be careful: if you do this, really everyone who knows the URL can see your issues, not only your clients.

I don't know, what you mean with bots. If they login to your Jira System, they need a valid licensed user login for that.

Cheers

Thomas

vladimir February 26, 2013

Can I make it so that users don't need a license? Our clients are the clients of our distributors, this means we only answer their questions, we don't distribute license keys nor do we know these clients. We just want to answer questions.

Projects are only for our workers: 5 ppl.

So shortly it looks like this:

1. jira.company.com is for projects

2. answers.company.com is for clients

So clients don't have license keys. They just ask questions and get answers.

Users (workers) get to work on projects and manage projects.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2013

Then I think you need another platform for "answers.company.com" - I don't think that Jira is the right thing for that. Maybe you need something like this Answers-and-Questions-Platform here - it is based on OSQA .

Suggest an answer