Jira user with group email Id

Vidula Kulkarni August 24, 2015

I have a JIRA user with a group email Id. The default notification scheme to email all employees in the group email Id does not work. When we create an issue and assign it to this user, I expect all the employees in the group to be notified.

Can someone please let me know why this is not working? Thanks

5 answers

0 votes
Vidula Kulkarni August 25, 2015

HI All, thanks for your replies. I have assigned the appropriate permissions to the user, have set  'Default Notification Scheme' to the project and verified the email address by emailing via Outlook.

Also when I click 'Notification Helper', I get a message, 'InternalDevPM' should receive notifications when an issue is created..

So, I am at loss as to why the PMs are not being notified.

Taha Khanzada
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

It sound silly but you can check one more very important thing. Check if this user belongs to default jira group which is *jira-users* group in most cases. Easy way to check this try to login with this account to jira.

Vidula Kulkarni August 26, 2015

Yes, the user belongs to jira-users, jira-developers and jira-managers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2015

If you only update the assignee field in an edit screen it will send to the assignee being replaced.

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

If the user is being assigned to the issue then Issue Created event is thrown

If the user is assigned via editing the Assignee field then Issue Updated is thrown

If the user is assigned via "Assign" menu item then Issue Assigned is thrown

You may wish to notify the group on all three events to catch all possibilities. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2015

You may also want to verify you don't have an error in the email name. I also suggest copy/paste the email into a message from your email to verify it works.

0 votes
Taha Khanzada
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2015

Hi Vidula,

Since you have assigned issue to this user, I assume user has correct permission to project.

Check Notification Scheme, check user is added to particular event like Create issue, update issue.

You can use JIRA Notification Helper to troubleshoot this issue

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Admin+Helper#JIRAAdminHelper-NotificationHelper

Enter username and event name and submit.

Taha

Suggest an answer