Jira user notifications with group email Id

Praveen Balaji January 23, 2017

I created a JIRA user with a group email Id for my QA team qa@y.com. I created a test card on JIRA and added qa@y.com as a watcher. All members in the group got a notification on the card being created. 

But when i changed the status or drop a comment on the card, there is no notification for the group id. I also checked on the Notification helper in the card for the qa@y.com id and it says 'QA receives notifications for the 'Issue Commented' event'. 

Can someone please help me out with this. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2017

JIRA is not aware of the group email - it sees a user like any other, and sends email to it.

If other users are getting emails and the group email is not, then it's something in your email system that is killing it.  Emails sent to groups are sometimes blocked by email rules, or have a higher risk of being seen as potential spam by some services, especially when sent by users who look like they might be automated (e.g. an email to the group from you might be fine because the email server knows you are a human, but an email from jira-user@ourserver.com looks like it could be a bot)

In short, check what your email server is doing with them.  As JIRA just sends them to whatever email address it is told to.

Suggest an answer