Jira user cannot change the issue type

shahril June 28, 2015

Current user which is set the permissioned as developer can change the issue type from Defect to Improvement. What is the possible i can block this thing from happened?Developer can view and edit but cannot change the issue type.

8 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2015

If a user can edit an issue, they can change the issue type if you allow them by

1. putting it on the issue screen, as long as the source and target issue types are configured the same
  2. allow them to "move" an issue

You can't block that natively

1 vote
skorzinetzki June 30, 2015

Ah think our configuration led me to this assumption, because there is always something different. :) thank you!

1 vote
Andrii Mishak June 28, 2015

You can create 'Screen Scheme' where 'Edit Issue' operation can be assigned to screen without 'Issue Type' field to change.

Then add this screen scheme to Issue Type Screen Scheme for all needed projects.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2015

Good plan, but it does rely on you not ever needing to change between issue types that are configured differently in general, and still leaves the "move" option open

Andrii Mishak June 29, 2015

What is "move"? I do not get it. Issue type is field, it is not like status

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2015

Yes, it is a field, but it is a field that ALL the configuration hangs off. The issue type determines what screens, fields and workflows you use. If you have issue types that are configured differently, then changing issue type means you are changing the entire configuration of the issue, and that is not a simple thing to do. The move function has all the code needed to check and migrate between issue types. Plain "edit" does not. Try it for yourself - set up a project that uses two different workflows for bug and task, and create a bug. You will find that you are not offered "task" in the issue type field when you try to edit it - you have to use "move" to change it.

Like Neha Sharma likes this
Andrii Mishak June 30, 2015

Thank you, I understand now.

0 votes
Julia Dudnyk May 25, 2020

I am admin of project and i cannot edit issue type inside issue.  But such an opportunity was until recently. No one changed the settings.  I can it make by Move. How can i decide it? Pls help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2020

You can't use "edit" unless there is at least one other issue type available inth project that is configured to use the same screens, workflow and fields.

"No one changed the settings" is wrong - someone has changed one or more of those things.

Can you help me with the settings? Which ones to compare? I can give screenshots. There are several projects and editing is available on some, but not on one. The schemes are all defaulted.

Update: I fixed it. We added new type "Idea" but not adde it to

Configure Screen

0 votes
shahril July 1, 2015

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. Anyway, i have tried by removing the Project Role (Developer) from the Permission Schemes page. Then i login as developer and developer cannot edit the issue type (change from defect to improvement), cannot change the severity and  etc but developer still able to comment, attach files and fix issue etc.  It seems work for me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2015

So you've killed off the *edit* rights

shahril July 2, 2015

yess sir

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2015

<sigh>

Like Mark Hostetler likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2015

You can change issue type by editing the field directly, if it is on the edit screen and the issue types have the same configuration. If one of those is not true, you have to move the issue.

Reese Lord January 15, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Is this still true as of Server v. 8.5? It seems odd that I have to move an issue to change the issue type. I understand it is a function of using two different workflows.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

Yes, still true, as the issue type is fundamental and allows for different configurations, it has to be "moved".

Like Reese Lord likes this
0 votes
skorzinetzki June 30, 2015

Isn't it the permission to "move" an issue type? I can't remember changing the issue type without using the move functionality?

Mark Hostetler August 27, 2019

Yes, at least as of August 2019

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2015

You can also attempt to use workflow permissions to fix this. Please take a look at this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=149834

Suggest an answer