Jira upgrade from 6.4.12 to 7.3.3 and Jira Service desk install

Leena Bakshi June 26, 2017

Hello,

We are starting our jira upgrade next month. I have couple of questions:

We are not doing in place upgrade. We are gonna migrate the data on to new server with jira 7.3.3. 

• Is it a good idea to jump to 7.3.3 from 6.4.12?
  • We have multiple Service desks now, when we move to 7.3.3 , do we need to immediately install Service desk application in order to see previous service desk tickets?
  • Is there any best practice defined for such upgrade?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2017

I had major problems with the upgrade. I had to jump from 7.0, to 7.1, to 7.2. Just a heads up.

Skipping these steps either broke JIRA in various wasy. Notabily JIRA failed to boot if I skipped right to 7.2 and Service Desk UI was broken if I skipped 7.1.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2017

The best practice for this upgrade is to do an in-place upgrade.  Probably on a copy of the 6.4.12 copied over to the new server.

6.4.12 to 7.3.3 is probably going to work ok, but you will need to test it thoroughly, as it's not guaranteed.  Any problems, then go to 7.0 first, then up to 7.3

Leena Bakshi June 26, 2017

Thank you for your prompt reply Nic.

Reason why we are not doing in place upgrade is because our current jira is on windows 2008 and MSSQL 2008. So we are planning to move to Win 2012 with MSSQL 2012.

Suggest an answer