Jira upgrade 6.0.4 to 6.3.14

Aaron Fand March 5, 2015

All,

I have some questions after trying to upgrade JIRA from 6.0.4 to 6.3.14 and then having to recover:

• The log files added 3 hours to the backup and restore.
    • What is the safest way of removing the logs from the upgrade process? 
    • Is there a tool to clean these logs?
    • Are these log files should be mentioned in the upgrade instructions
  • SSL configuration did not get upgraded.  I tried to recreate but errors occurred indicating that the same password was needed between Tomcat and Jira.
    • Where are the settings in Tomcat?
    • Where is good documentation for setting up the SSL which mentions Tomcat?  

Regards,
Aaron 

2 answers

0 votes
Aaron Fand March 9, 2015

Shayne,

I used the rapid upgrade process where I could see the files being backed up:

At the 'Back up JIRA directories' step, ensure the Back up  these directories option is selected. This creates 'zip' archive  file backups of your existing JIRA Installation and JIRA Home  Directories in their respective parent directory locations.

Is there any safe way to delete these log files?

I did not realize that the SSL configuration was a customization.  I followed the instructions you are pointing to recreate the SSL configuration but used a different password from Tomcat.  This caused an error that I had to restore from.  Where is the password stored for Tomcat?

Regards,

Aaron

0 votes
Shanye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2015

Hey Aaron,

Can you please let us know what method you used to attempt the JIRA upgrade? The reason I ask is that they shouldn't slow down the upgrade at all. How were you able to determine that the log files slowed things down?

SSL configuration is covered in our documentation for
Running JIRA over SSL or HTTPS or Integrating JIRA with Apache using SSL, depending on how you want to set things up.

Suggest an answer