Jira -- tracking work history from multiple users on an issue. Advice/Best Practices?

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

Hi,

We are running Jira 5.2.6 -- we have a project for external customer support. Several teams can work on any single issue -- it is not unusual to have the assignee or team change several teams before an isssue is resolved.

Anyway, is there a way to track how much work each user and/or team did on the issue? Preferably in a report or filter format?

I was thinking to enforce entering time-spent whenever an issue was assigned to another user... but not sure if there is a way to tally that all nice and pretty.

Tips much appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

First, you have plenty of reporting plugins on JIRA in addition to the standard reports. Just pick one.

Next, this is my advice: enforce logging through discussion with the teams, don't annoy the programmers with popups in JIRA (do that! do that! do that!). It is fine to customize JIRA and put some remainders in the pages, but it's better to leave things open and flexible.Train them to use JIRA, watch them for a while, ask for corrections if you see they do not follow rules ... the usual stuff

Feeling free is the key to a cool and nice environment. My 2 cents.

0 votes
Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2020
0 votes
Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2013

Hi Bryan, you might be interested in the Tempo Issue Timesheet.

Suggest an answer