Jira to set up meetings automatically at the end of a sprint

Szymon Szabłowski May 19, 2017

I would like Jira to automatically send meeting requests to team members, when I start a new sprint, for the date when this sprint is planned to finish (so we have the next sprint planning meeting planned as soon as we start current sprint).

So for example, let's say I have a sprint planning meeting with my team of developers. We pick tasks and stories from the backlog and start a new sprint, e.g. one week long. Now, I need to go to Outlook and manually set up a meeting for the next week and send meeting requests to team members. It would be more convenient for me if such a meeting was created automatically as soon as I hit start sprint button.

Is it possible, either with plain vanilla Jira or perhaps there is a plugin for that?

If that matters at all (but I doubt that), we use Exchange Online (Office 365).

1 answer

0 votes
Shaakunthala July 31, 2017

This would have been much easier if JSWSERVER-6395 was resolved. Go vote! :)

The other thing is, I'm not sure if Exchange Online permits automatically adding calendar events in recipient's end. Anyway, you need to research a bit about Exchange's mail format to see how to embed a calendar invitation in mail body.

Here's my workaround since JSWSERVER-6395 is not done yet. It will still need further research, and may have an impact on your sprint report. This also needs the Script Runner add-on.

1. Create a 'send custom email' script listener.
  2. Events - Issue Closed
  3. Condition - issue.summary.toLowerCase() == "sprint planning"
  4. Email template - You need to research about suitable mail format/ template and find a way to construct event invitation within the mail body. In Gmail, just including date-time in mail body create a link that recipient can click and add to calendar.
  5. Specify the recipients.

How to use:

Create a story that's also included in the sprint. Name it as "sprint planning". This is just a dummy - do not add estimates.

Once you start the sprint, immediately close this story. It will fire 'Issue Closed' event that is caught by the custom listener and it will send out the email.

This workaround doesn't seem easy, and may be seen as ridiculous :) , but that's one way of doing it. Hope it helps.

Thanks!

Shaakunthala

Eliad Cohen June 16, 2019

Hi @Shaakunthala  can you give me an example how to do what you described?

"In Gmail, just including date-time in mail body ..."

Thanks

Eliad

Suggest an answer