Jira stopped authenticating with active directory

Daniel Silva December 27, 2019

Hi,

Jira has stopped authenticating active directory users (including the user with administrator privileges).
No access to Jira, just AD, how can I solve this?

Kind Regards

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2019

Hi @Roberto Miasack ,

There should be an internal user with admin rights. Can you please check it?

If you don't know the credentials, you can restore it by following these steps.

Regards

Hi, Tansu.

Thanks for the quick response.
I don't have internal user access so I'm following the steps you sent me.

Anyway, I can't create the recovery_admin user. Could you help me validate if the sevenv.bat file is correctly edited?

Regards

Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2019

You don't have to create a recovery_admin user. It will be automatically eligible to login after following the steps in KB.

I add this setence is the last line?

-Datlassian.recovery.password=<your-password>
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

That's right.

I can't login to recovery_admin.

sevent.png

0 votes
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

Hi @Roberto Miasack  since your server is Windows.

Please follow the command to open the Properties window of Java in this link. (Please see the Windows Service instruction specifically)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/setting-properties-and-options-on-startup-938847831.html?Settingpropertiesandoptionsonstartup-Windowsservice

After that follow the link @Tansu Akdeniz added in his answer.

This time add the

-Datlassian.recovery.password=<your-password>

Into the Java tab in the Tomcat settings in the Windows Service.

Restart Jira via Windows Services (services.msc)

Try the password you have specified

Hi, Bryan.

I already did what you quoted above. I still can't authenticate with recovery_admin.

sevent.png

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

@Roberto Miasack 

Please follow the content of the link.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/setting-properties-and-options-on-startup-938847831.html#Settingpropertiesandoptionsonstartup-Windowsservice

You need to do a series of commands just to get the JAVA options and put the arguments in that window.

Remember to restart Jira.

Bryan,

Thank you for answer me.

But, i could not reproduce. I do not know where I am going wrong in the steps, but this recovery_admin does not work.

If there is any other way to help me, i appreciate.

Kind Regards,

brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

Please visit this link and check if the Database operations is applicable to your case.

• It will find the existing user you have in the Internal Directory
  • It will reset the user to a known password.
  • Make sure you change it afterwards.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/retrieving-the-jira-administrator-192836.html

Suggest an answer