I am install standalone JIRA 6.21, execute ./start-jira.sh

console print this

Using JIRA_HOME:       /var/atlassian/application-data/jira

Server startup logs are located in /opt/atlassian/logs/catalina.out
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/atlassian
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/atlassian
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-oracle
Using CLASSPATH:       /opt/atlassian/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID:    /opt/atlassian/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2015

Argh, hang on, sorry.

You appear to be using a JRE, oracle's version 6.  JIRA states you need Oracle's JDK 7 for 6.2 - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA062/Supported+Platforms

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2015

You should have a look at the logs.  First check what the atlassian-jira.log file in your "JIRA_home"/logs directory.  However, as it's failing so quickly, it might not be getting there at all, so read the catalina.out file it refers to.  There will be a reason for failure in one of them

Fahrenheit YURY January 29, 2015

it's

however "JIRA_home"/logs directory is empty

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2015

Now that is very odd. Tomcat starts, then is behaving like you have used "kill -9" on it. I've never seen it do that without writing to the application log, OR being killed by a security process of some sort. I'd check the rest of the logs found alongside catalina.out, check very carefully that you are not trying to relocate any logging in Jira (a lot of us relocate the application logs to somewhere more system-standard) and then see if /var/log contains any logs mentioning java or Jira.

Fahrenheit YURY January 29, 2015

I can't see both java fnd jira logs. Nowhere. Why do you think is may be that "without writing to the application log, OR being killed by a security process of some sort. "?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2015

That would be recorded in /var/logs

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2015

i suggest you contact Atlassian support. This is a user group forum, not tech support

Suggest an answer