I am install standalone JIRA 6.21, execute ./start-jira.sh

console print this

Using JIRA_HOME:       /var/atlassian/application-data/jira

Server startup logs are located in /opt/atlassian/logs/catalina.out
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/atlassian
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/atlassian
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-oracle
Using CLASSPATH:       /opt/atlassian/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID:    /opt/atlassian/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Joe Pitt Community Champion Jan 29, 2015

i suggest you contact Atlassian support. This is a user group forum, not tech support

You should have a look at the logs.  First check what the atlassian-jira.log file in your "JIRA_home"/logs directory.  However, as it's failing so quickly, it might not be getting there at all, so read the catalina.out file it refers to.  There will be a reason for failure in one of them

it's

however "JIRA_home"/logs directory is empty

Now that is very odd. Tomcat starts, then is behaving like you have used "kill -9" on it. I've never seen it do that without writing to the application log, OR being killed by a security process of some sort. I'd check the rest of the logs found alongside catalina.out, check very carefully that you are not trying to relocate any logging in Jira (a lot of us relocate the application logs to somewhere more system-standard) and then see if /var/log contains any logs mentioning java or Jira.

I can't see both java fnd jira logs. Nowhere. Why do you think is may be that "without writing to the application log, OR being killed by a security process of some sort. "?

That would be recorded in /var/logs

Argh, hang on, sorry.

You appear to be using a JRE, oracle's version 6.  JIRA states you need Oracle's JDK 7 for 6.2 - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA062/Supported+Platforms

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

97 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you