Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Jira software v7.13.1to v8.0.2 upgrade

When Jira 8.0.0 came out, I cloned my "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.6" server to create a secondary server for upgrade testing. There were add-ons/apps that were considered not compatible.

After upgrading, it was slow, sluggish and even unresponsive. After several page refreshes, I would finally get logged in. After logging in to an upgraded Jira Software, I immediately try to connect to "System" so that I can upgrade my Jira Service Desk and any add-ons/apps. I could never get the System login to work. I would always get a 500 web page after a few minutes of waiting. I finally backed out the update (VMWare Snapshot) to try at a later date.

I have watched the updates show up in my production server. I saw 8.0.1 come out as well as 8.0.2. Each time I check my plugins/apps for compatibility. For each update, the following apps are incompatible: AM Utils, Atalassian Universal Plugin Manager Plugin, Color Custom Fields, JIRA Subversion plugin, & Subscriptions for JIRA.

I have updated my cloned server to 8.0.2 and the same issue still exists. I can't increase my login to System. I can't view ANY tickets. I can't view all projects. I found that after the upgrade, the system would be slow due to index pointers on the database. At this time, Jira has been running for about 90 minutes and I still can do anything. We are using PostgreSQL 9.6 locally on the server. The JAVA version that we are using is the JAVA that comes with Jira Software.

~/JIRA/install # java -version
java version "1.8.0_181"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

~/JIRA/install # which java
/opt/atlassian/jira/jre/bin/java

Is Jira 8.0.X even ready for prime time yet?

The current Add-ons/Apps installed are:

JIRA Subversion plugin (it already incompatible, but still works for our 7.13.1)

AIM Utils

Atlassian Troubleshooting and Support Tools

Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager Plugin

Color Custom Fields

Issue Picker Custom Field Type for JIRA

JIRA Calendar Plugin

JIRA Toolkit Plugin

JIRA Watcher Field

JQL Functions Collection

querydsl-4.0.7-provider-plugin

SIL Engine

Subscriptions for JIRA

Warden.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Mar 15, 2019

It is expected that when Jira server releases a major version upgrade, such as 7.0 or 8.0, that this has the potential to change the way the system works in such a way that plugins will require updates to continue to work with Jira.  Many plugin vendors have already released updated versions of this plugins to keep there products functional.  However this can take time.  Not all vendors have done this yet for Jira 8

As for your upgrade here, it sounds like your Jira instance might not have loaded up all the system plugins needed to work as designed.  This can cause all kinds of unexpected behavior in the system, from being unable to see issues, to potentially bigger problems such as a failed upgrade.

I would like to see if you could generate a support zip of this Jira instance, and then post this to a service like dropbox or google drive and share the link with us here.  I would be interested to take a closer look at your Jira logs when Jira starts up.  There are lots of potential problems that can happen when trying to upgrade Jira from plugin incompatibility, to java heaps sizes being insufficient for Jira to load.   The logs should be able to tell us more about why you might be seeing such terrible performance after an upgrade.  

Wow.  I never got notified that there was an answer to this.  Here we sit 3 year later, and I am beside myself.

I don't remember what happened, or how I got it working. I want to say I just waited until a new version came out.  

Andy, I appreciate your answer, and I apologize that I did not reply, since I wasn't notified that an answer was submitted.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you