Jira software PDF preview issue in reverse proxy mode (IIS)

Suneesh Kumar July 4, 2017

The PDF preview is working in Firefox but not in other browsers.

I have configured the JIRA software in reverse proxy mode with IIS server. Everything is working perfect except the PDF preview in tickets, it's showing something like below in source of the page in Chrome

"GET https://support.****.com/secure/attachment/20619/biometricLogin.pdf 502 (Bad Gateway)"  and

"Ouch! We can't load the PDF.

/secure/attachment/20619/biometricLogin.pdf" in frontend

but we can download the pdf using this url.  All image previews are working fine but only the PDF format having issues.

Please help..

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Barton October 26, 2017

Hi,

Is there an update to this issue? Seems we are plagued by this too.

Are you also experiencing no problems with Firefox?

Either way, do you have a solution yet?

Would be fantastic.

Thanks.

PS: In an earlier chat with support we came across this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/project-sidebar-broken-using-iis-proxy-860033769.html

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2017

Hi Suneesh,

What version of JIRA are you running and do you have any PDF relatead plugins, e.g. PDF View Plugin for JIRA?  I tested this in JIRA 7.4 and did not run into this issue. 

In instances where I have seen this happen some users have reported clearing their cache and cookies will fix it at least temporarily. 

502 errors can happen for a number of reasons:

• A failure to connect to the server
  • No response from the server
  • The server took too long to respond (time out)

If you are on an older version of JIRA I would recommend installing a newer version of JIRA in a test environment and see if you run into the same issue.  If not, upgrade to that version in production after making a backup.

Another options is to make sure detailed HTTP logging is on for IIS and see if there are any clues in your IIS logs.

Cheers,

Branden

Suneesh Kumar July 6, 2017

Hi Branden,

Thanks for looking in to this.!

No, I am not using any PDF View plugin in JIRA.

I am using the JIRA server version v7.2 ( "self hosted").

I have configured this in our own infrastructure and the IIS is acting as a reverse proxy (front end ) for the JIRA software.

we can download the PDF using the url but only in chrome we can't see the preview and shows this error.

Suggest an answer