Jira software Hosted JIRA v7.3.0

DPA January 25, 2018

All,

During a sprint, QA team identified a defect for a Story. In our current setup, we have QA to create a subtask under the Story with Story Bug(Custom field). Using the current process, the Story cannot be completed until all the subtasks(QA defect is fixed). We want to have that control in place.

We want to move away from the above process instead use the Bug as Label for all future defects. In this process, someone can mark the story to be complete even though the defect is not fixed.  I followed the below mentioned process:

Step 1: Create an issue

Step 2: Issue Type - Bug

Step 3: Linked Issues : I tried all combination ( is Blocked by,  blocks, is a child of, is child of)

With all the above mentioned(Step 3) permutation, I am still able to mark the story as Done, without fixing the defect.

I want to know if there is any other condition I can use to ensure that the story cannot be marked as Done until the defect is fixed.

Thanks for your help

1 answer

1 vote
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Sub-tasks is the most foolproof way out of the box. Your other choice is permission (role or group) based but that isn't ideal.

If you have Jira Suite Utilities you could restrict closure to admins for stories and use the Linked Transition postfunction on the close transition of the sub-task.

Other solutions such as Scriptrunner exist as well, but I think you're looking at add-ons if you're moving away from sub-task blocking conditions on stories.

DPA January 26, 2018

Thanks Josh. I don't want to go the permission route.

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

Yeah I wouldn't want to either.

Suggest an answer