Jira service desk not wroking after upgrading to jira 7.3.3

Leena Bakshi October 3, 2017

I our test env we migrated jira 6.4.12 to 7.0.0 and then did in place upgrade to jira 7.3.3. did upgrade of service desk also. However now navigation bar on the left side of the page in service desk gives the message : "unable to render element due to an error"

in service desk log I found the following:

UpmAsynchronousTaskManager:thread-2 ERROR lee.ba 897x1029x1 18yyftu 172.18.188.143 /rest/plugins/1.0/ [bootstrap.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle] '2.5.9' version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to '3.4.0-REL-0010'. Upgrade to '3.0.0' <= <version> < '3.2.0' first.
com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.UnsatisfiedVersionRequirementException: '2.5.9' version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to '3.4.0-REL-0010'. Upgrade to '3.0.0' <= <version> < '3.2.0' first.
at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.UpgradeRequirementsChecker.checkVersionRequirementForUpgrade(UpgradeRequirementsChecker.java:25)
at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle.checkAndRunUpgrades(ServerPluginLifeCycle.java:245)
at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle.start(ServerPluginLifeCycle.java:205)
at com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle.lambda$onPluginStarted$0(ServerPluginLifeCycle.java:193)

Right now the I have Jira service desk version 3.4.0 under developer license. 

Do I need to uninstall it and then reinstall it ? or is there a way to downgrade the version?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2017

Is this still in Dev or did you do the upgrade in Production already? If you did it in Dev and haven't touched Prod yet (best practice to do it this way,) I would start the process over and step through 3.2 first, then go beyond that point.  

If you've already upgraded Prod, I would try downgrading JSD to 3.2 by removing it from your JIRA 7.3 instance then installing 3.2.  I'm not sure that it will run on JIRA 7.3, so you will need to try it.  If it runs, I would expect it to upgrade your data and then you can upgrade JSD to 3.4.  If that doesn't work or JSD 3.2 doesn't run on JIRA 7.3, then I would open an Atlassian Support issue.

Leena Bakshi October 3, 2017

That's what I am planning to do .. it is still in dev... I am planning to uninstall and install 3.2 but as you mentioned I am actually concerned about the data or the tickets that are there right now.. 

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2017

Given that the purpose of doing this in Dev is to learn the exact procedure that you will use during a production change control, I would recommend refreshing your dev instance data and redoing the process from scratch.  It would be a good idea to review the release notes for JSD on all the versions you will go through to get to 3.4.  There isn't really documentation that aggregates all of the possible upgrade paths so that it's easy to see which versions of JIRA and JSD that you need to go through to get to your desired version.  We've figured it out via trial and error, but it depends greatly on what your source and destination versions are.

Leena Bakshi October 4, 2017

I agree, however for me to refresh data is not that simple as we are coming from ver 6.4.12 so that means I migrate the data to 7.0.0 version first and then do the inplace upgrade to ver 7.3.3. As I ll be doing this for production upgrade. Unless I am not aware of any simpler path.

Thank you for your prompt reply :)

Leena Bakshi October 4, 2017

Well I am not sure if this is how its suppose to work but right now I am able to see the navigation tree on the right hand side.

all I did was to uninstall the service desk while keeping the license and configurations intact and then reinstalled it. It is still on 3.4 version though.

I think now the final testing will be done when I am attempting production upgrade and will make sure that I upgrade the service desk to 3.0.0 version first.

Suggest an answer