Jira server migration

pankaj hooda January 4, 2016

I have to upgrade my JIRA server machine as the existing machine is outdated now.But I have read somewhere that the JIRA license key is mapped with the server machine key and any changes in the server key(new machine's key will be different) can make my license invalid.

JIRA version-4.3

Is it true and if so,please suggest an alternative.

4 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2016

Ah, ok, a simple migration is easier.

You have two things to consider - the database and the "home" directory.

The home directory is simple - make sure the files on the new machine are a direct copy of the ones on the old machine.

The database is a bit more complex, but the principle is "connect the new installation to the old database without any changes" and the server ID should remain the same, as long as the home directory was copied as well.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2016

Hi @pankaj hooda

Yes your SEN will still be the same but in order to upgrade you will need a current licence so that will need to be renewed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2016

Well, you can still upgrade, but only to a version that was released while your licence was valid. For example, if your licence ended on 1st December 2014, then you could upgrade as high as 6.3.11, but not 6.3.12 (that came out after the expiry date)

Hi, I am not upgrading the JIRA version.My JIRA version can't be upgraded beyond 4.3 and it is my current version. I am upgrading my machine on which the JIRA runs ( the jira server).

0 votes

Hi Phill,

thanx for your reply.smile

I have SEN number but the maintenance period /support period for the JIRA version that we are using has expired long back.

So,will the SEN still be vaild.

thanx in advance.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2016

Hi @pankaj hooda

As long as you have a current support licence which is tied to your JIRA SEN (Support Entitlement Number) then you will not have any issues with upgrading as this will remain linked.

Phill

Suggest an answer