Jira sends 11 copies of each email

It Support August 31, 2017

We have Jira 7.3.6 on prem solution

We have it connected to our exchange 2010 server via internal ip

We are moving to gmail in about 3 weeks

To provide our users 3 weeks worth of mail on day 1, we have forwarders on each person exchange account to deliver a local copy of the email to their exchange mailbox, and send another copy of each email to their new gmail mailbox

All normal email communications work fine, but each Jira notification gets sent 11 times, which floods our mail queues. 

The messages that keep sending are often found in the Error Queue under Jira administration.

As soon as I take off the forward to gmail and remove the messages from the error queue everything goes back to working fine.

Why is this happening and how can I put the forward back on and not get the multiple emails?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2017

Sounds like the JIRA server don't get a proper response back from the mailserver after delivering it's mail. This can be caused by the mailserver responding with a error 550 (user not found) based on an account which is CC'ed on mail, and will repeat this 10 times before failing it all together.. TCPdumps between JIRA and the mailserver would allow you insight in the exchanges, but this is where i put my bet for now.

Regards

Jonas

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2017

Enable outgoing mail logging and check the outgoing mail log for errors

Suggest an answer