Jira running slow after upgrade to 5.2.4

We upgraded our Jira from 4.4.4 to latest 5.2.4 recently. Now we see that Jira is responding slow. The upgrade was done according to the instructions and went fine. Could this be some database problem when connecting the new Jira to the same and old database we were using with the older version? Indexing issue?

Any ideas? The performance and troubleshooting instructions don't give much...

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Quite a broad question to answer:

1. Do you see high CPU usage in JIRA?
  2. Do you have the same situation in the server after the JIRA upgrade (did you start any new applications in the same server)
  3. Did you test the disk speed?
  4. And how is the memory usage?
  5. Is JIRA getting into GC frequently - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Garbage+Collection+Performance+Problems
  6. Are there any specific pages that takes time or in general slow?
  7. Is JIRA accessed via a proxy? How is the direct access speed?

I know it's a broad question and that's why it's difficult also to know where to start looking...

1. CPU usange isn't that high, normal

2. Before upgrade Jira was quite fast, no any new services in the server

3. Haven't tested the disk speed

4. Memory usage is high, there are peeks while the memory usage goes to 100% fo rmemory and physical disk usage. I guess this is normal? anyway it's not constant.

5. I could look into this, don't know

6. No specific pages, in general slowness.

7. No

One thing I was thinking is that the server is quite old, and has 1GB of RAM. Maybe the upgraded version requires more resources than the earlier? We are running confluence on the same server, which was not a problem earlier.

How about the database connection and upgrading? Are the any know problems when upgrading and sticking with the same database? Do you know?

Didn't know that, thanks! That could possible be quite a problem...

4. That is not normal if it is swapping to disk. That can be a major bottleneck.

1 GB RAM?? JIRA requirements is a minimum of 2 GB. Just get a better hardware rather than trying to investigate other aspects.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

40 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you