Jira restored but unable to login with any of the existing users

System Admin January 18, 2018

Hi Experts,

I have restored my Jira backup version (6.1.2) from one of the server to another instance, the thing is I have changed my Mailserver and his ip address which was previously being used. Now whenever I clicked on forget password while login on web interface and then error log says Could not connect to SMTP host:

Now Please tell me where to change the SMTP address in jira configuration files.

Many thanks in advance

3 answers

3 votes
Deleted user January 19, 2018

You need to check if your Jira server is able to connect to your new Mailserver ip i.e:

# linux
nc -v <NEW_IP_OR_DOMAIN> <PORT>

if you want to check how the Jira's mailserver is configured you can run the following mysql query:

select ID,NAME,SERVERNAME,DESCRIPTION,SMTP_PORT from mailserver;

On linux you can map your new ip to the SMTP domain returned by the above mysql query in /etc/hosts, then I think you will be able to receive the reset link for your password.

System Admin January 19, 2018

I am using hsql database, how to check if my new smtp is configured or not.

In the error log I can see that it is still trying to send email via old mail server ip.

and I am able to telnet on port 25 from my Jira server. 

Many thanks

Deleted user January 19, 2018
System Admin January 22, 2018

now I have crowd server too in the same server, but still it says below error.

+++++++++++++++++++++++=

2018-01-22 17:54:14,338 http-bio-8080-exec-24 ERROR anonymous 1074x38x1 1rrwyl8 192.168.2.90 /rest/gadget/1.0/login [crowd.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric] Directory 'Crowd Office + Ldap Server' is not functional during authentication of 'kailash'. Skipped.

2018-01-22 17:54:14,338 http-bio-8080-exec-24 ERROR anonymous 1074x38x1 1rrwyl8 192.168.1.1 /rest/gadget/1.0/login [jira.security.login.JiraSeraphAuthenticator] Error occurred while trying to authenticate user 'kailash'.

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException
at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.convertOperationFailedException(CrowdServiceImpl.java:915)
at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.authenticate(CrowdServiceImpl.java:80)
at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.DelegatingCrowdService.authenticate(DelegatingCrowdService.java:35)
at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.FilteredCrowdServiceImpl.authenticate(FilteredCrowdServiceImpl.java:51)
at com.atlassian.jira.security.login.JiraSeraphAuthenticator.crowdServiceAuthenticate(JiraSeraphAuthenticator.java:79)
at com.atlassian.jira.security.login.JiraSeraphAuthenticator.authenticate(JiraSeraphAuthenticator.java:44)
at com.atlassian.seraph.auth.DefaultAuthenticator.login(DefaultAuthenticator.java:94) <+12> (PasswordBasedLoginFilter.java:127) (PasswordBasedLoginFilter.java:72) (BaseLoginFilter.java:131) (JiraLoginFilter.java:70) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (IteratingFilterChain.java:46) (DelegatingPluginFilter.java:66) (OAuthFilter.java:55) (DelegatingPluginFilter.java:74) (IteratingFilterChain.java:42) (DelegatingPluginFilter.java:66)
at com.atlassian.plugins.rest.module.servlet.RestSeraphFilter.doFilter(RestSeraphFilter.java:40) <+3> (DelegatingPluginFilter.java:74) (IteratingFilterChain.java:42) (DelegatingPluginFilter.java:66)
at com.atlassian.prettyurls.filter.PrettyUrlsCombinedMatchDispatcherFilter.doFilter(PrettyUrlsCombinedMatchDispatcherFilter.java:61) <+9> (DelegatingPluginFilter.java:74) (IteratingFilterChain.java:42) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:77) (ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (AbstractJohnsonFilter.java:71) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.handleRewrite(RuleChain.java:176)
at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.doRules(RuleChain.java:145)
at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriter.processRequest(UrlRewriter.java:92) <+10> (UrlRewriteFilter.java:394) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (GzipFilter.java:80) (GzipFilter.java:51) (JiraGzipFilter.java:55) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:243) (ApplicationFilterChain.java:210) (IteratingFilterChain.java:46) (DelegatingPluginFilter.java:66)

what could be the cause.

1 vote
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2018

Hi there,

if nothing else works,  you could try: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/retrieving-the-jira-administrator-192836.html

to restore the admin user and then you can configure Jira again.

Let me know if that helps.

System Admin January 19, 2018

Thanks Krisz,

I tried to below steps.

I located HSQL data directory

which is /data/jira/atlassian/jira/lib/hsqldb-1.8.0.5.jar on path

then I ran below commands.

java -cp /data/jira/atlassian/jira/lib/hsqldb-1.8.0.5.jar org.hsqldb.util.DatabaseManager -user sa -url 'jdbc:hsqldb:/data/jira/var/application-data/jira/database/jiradb;shutdown=true' 

and I am getting below error

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using '192.168.1.103:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:62)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:178)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:142)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:186)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:82)
at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:424)
at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:477)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:419)
at org.hsqldb.util.DatabaseManager.main(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.util.DatabaseManager.main(Unknown Source)

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Please suggest

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2018

You need to be running that on a system that has a GUI installed.  Most servers do not bother, as it's usually not needed for anything.

Your options:

• Install a GUI on the server (yuk)
  • Use a text based SQL tool
  • Copy the hsql files to a system that has a GUI and do the work there (you only need a couple of files from that directory)
System Admin January 22, 2018

Nic 

I configured GUI console but my database is not visible on prompt.

I checked my Jira instance is stopped and when I configured the exact path on URL field then it says java memory error.

How to reolve this

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

Depends on the java memory error is.  My guess is your database is too large for it to load, and you need to increase the memory for the database browser.

0 votes
System Admin February 1, 2018

@All..

My issue resolved, I changed my server with high configuration and connect HSQL database and changed admin password.

Many thanks guys for your support.

Suggest an answer