Jira responding slow after upgrades

Mohin Uddin May 11, 2014

Hi Expert,

We have upgraded our Jira from 4.0.2 to latest 6.2.3 recently. Now we see that Jira is responding slow. we have performed the re-index when system message to us and Jira log file size now 1.78GB.

could you please tell me how can I use Jira In fastly?

Thanks
Mohin

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2014

Slow performance and a large logfile implies something is broken.

Read the log file to find out what the cause(s) may be

Mohin Uddin May 11, 2014

I have already checked atlassian-jira log file but didn’t find any issue and my log file size 1.78gb.

we are using 6Gb RAM.

so, what did you think regarding this slow response?

Thanks

Mohin

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2014

So what is that 1.78Gb actually saying?

Mohin Uddin May 11, 2014

That was log folder size and I alreade deleted old log files and no improvement

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2014

Argh.

The log probably held information that could tell you what has gone wrong.

Youv'e done an untested upgrade over a large number of versions and then deleted all the information you might need for debugging why it's not working.

Your only option now is to start monitoring the existing mess in detail. You're going to need to increase the logging facilities, jumping on any warnings or errors you get. Start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Performance+Tuningfor the standard stuff. It's aimed at large installs, but it doesn't really matter, you'll need to follow through the steps to dientify what's wrong with your installation.

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2014

Firstly, 4.0 to 6.2.3 is a huge jump, have you checked that the upgrade went fine with no errors?

Try starting jira in safe mode (with all plugins disabled) and see the performance?

Check if all plugins are updated.

Check logs for any errors.

JIRA 6.2 automatically assigns 768MB to the heap memory, you will need to explicitly set the heap memory size higher if your jira instance is huge (and restart of course)

Did you test your upgrade on a test instance, did this issue replicate on your test instance.?

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2014

Indeed, the huge logfile could be just "I'm upgrading the data".

Suggest an answer