Jira "update CF" post-function doesn't append value, only replaces it

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to add some metrics to my workflow, and I would like to measure how often did a card return from testing. My plan was to add a text field, and update it each time a "test didn't pass" transition happens, appending value (a simple symbol '*') instead of replacing it. As a result, I was expecting N symbols '*' after N transitions, which would be pretty informative.

Sadly, the "append" checkbox doesn't have any effect: whether it is on or off, after several transitions the field contains only one asterisk.

Is that a bug? Is there a workaround for it?

append_checkbox.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2017

Ah, text fields are not multiple value, so it has to treat it as an edit.

I would take a different route - use a numeric field and a "increment numeric field" post-function.  (Although I don't know if you have an add-on that provides one)

Hi Nic!

Thank you for the prompt reply! Now I get it.

Sadly, I don't have that post-function(

Avigail_Manheim November 28, 2019

I have the same use case as the original poster. @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  - what add-on do you recommend for using with Jira Cloud?

Ideally, once I have the field I would also like to generate reports based on the field (such as, % of issues that failed test).

Thanks for your advice.

Suggest an answer