I'm a relative tomcat newbie and have been having issues getting jira and confluence to run. I managed somehow to get jira setup, but confluence won't setup because it runs out of PermGen space at step 2.
Anyway, now I can't get Jira to even come up after entering userid/password. It fails due to lack of sufficient PermGen space. I've read quite a few google hits on the issue but none of the proposed solutions seems to work.
Below is a copy of my setenv.sh. Seems like I should have enough memory requested. Does anyone have any ideas?
export JAVA_OPTS='-Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled
# added for jira
export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true -Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true -Xms128m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"
I agree that your PermGen appears to be sufficient, if it is indeed allocated with 512m as suggested by the -XX:MaxPermSize=512m argument. However, are you sure that the input arguments are being passed to the JVM?
For example, if you are using Windows then you shouldn't be editing the setenv.sh but the setenv.bat or making the edits in the registry, as described in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Increasing+JIRA+Memory
I also don't think you will get any value from using the argument -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled if you are using JDK 1.6 because that functionality has actually been removed, so you might wish to consider removing that argument too: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3717937/cmspermgensweepingenabled-vs-cmsclassunloadingenabled
Finally, if you are sure that you have been configuring the correct files and the problem still persists then you should open a ticket with Support so that we can investigate the root cause of this issue.
All the best,
Your help was very much appreciated. I had changed setenv.sh due to many google hits recommending it, but given your question about being sure the args were being passed, I went back to verify. Turns out that even though the SuSE tomcat 6 distro has that script installed, it's never called from anywhere.
I made the changes to /usr/share/tomcat6/conf/tomcat6.conf(added CATALINA_OPTS with desired parms), recycled the appserver and, voila! Back in business. Thanks so much for the assist.
Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.Learn more
As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs