Jira "create sprint" tab is grayed out with some filter queries.

Samuel August 22, 2014

I have a query as below in my scrum board filter:

assignee in (abc, xyz, jkl) AND status in (New, Open, "In Progress") ORDER BY Rank ASC
  • It gives me issues list with no any error.
  • I SAVE it and go under Plan board (under scrum board), i found the "Create Sprint" tab is grayed out.
  • Again, when i change my filter to:
assignee in (abc, xyz, jkl) AND status not in (Closed, Verified, Defect, Pending) ORDER BY Rank ASC
  • than it works like charm. The "Create Sprint" tab is available. For some reason, JQL didn't like "Status in".
  • I am not sure what is wrong with my first query. I have two accounts- regular user and admin user. I am getting this issue with my regular user account.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Samuel August 25, 2014

I found the actual cause of this issue.

We have many other projects that has the same status shared. So I believe, the user must have to be the admin of all the projects which uses that status.

1 vote
Tineke Huizinga March 20, 2019

that workaround worked for me today.  one extra tip: Avoid OR conditions

0 votes
Samuel August 25, 2014

Here i found the workaround!

When i add the project list in the query, the "Create Sprint" tab appears to work fine.

assignee in (abc, xyz, jkl) AND <strong>status in</strong> (New, Open, "In Progress") And Project in (jkl,fgh,asd)ORDER BY Rank ASC

Still not sure, why it didnt like only with assigne and status!

0 votes
Samuel August 24, 2014

Thanks Alexey! The problem is actually with one of our Developers. He is having the same issue and i was testing with my regular user account.

I checked the admin previledge, and he is already in the admin role for all the projects.

bq. PS. My astral guess

I think your guess does make sense to me, but its not so clear to me. I tried to check the workflow conditions to see if we have added any retrictions for certain user but it is all clear.

Can you please clearify me more?

0 votes
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2014

Actually currently to create sprint you need "Administrate project permission". https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5035 - as you see request ticket is open. So the actual problem is in second request - that user who cannot administer get potential possibility to create sprint. See https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/164780/greenhopper-create-sprint-permissions . Please try to give user administer project permission to projects that are potentially covered by the query so he will be able to create sprints anyway...

PS. My astral guess - you have a set of projects - some of which user can administer, some not. You have the workflow that has one of the statuses listed in the first query and it is linked to the project user cannot administer. When you use second query - jira mistakenly limit the query analisys to the list of project that contain (all of / one of) statues in the query - and the project that user cannot administer is not inside the scope(i.e. it has only New, In Progress, Done statuses). But it will arrive in the query itself, so you've cheated the system )

Suggest an answer