Jira "Build and Release" does not Release in Bamboo

Max Grosch April 16, 2014

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Bamboo. Let me say I've some versions for a jira project to plan which issues should be resolved/implemented in which product version. In bamboo i've a build plan "RELEASE" which creates an artifact for my deployment project. Now I want to "build and release" my version:

In the upcoming popup I tick "Release with new build" using my "RELEASE" plan. Bamboo than builds the package:

Now my Question: In Bamboo the build was performed but not released? I've now to click on "Create release", put in the version number from jira (3.2.0) and click "release" agail.

We are on the newest version for both - jira and bamboo having all plugins up to date.

Thank you for your help!

2 answers

0 votes

Hey Ron,

thank you for your response. I can't eally imagine that this isn't possible :( I'd configured a "work around" which triggers (in case that all artefact builds are fine) a deployment to a "dummy system" using the release version number from jira (something like "${bamboo.jira.version}"). Bamboo than automatically creates a release of the last build artefacts. But in my opinion a bad solution because you need a dummy deployment system..

Regards

0 votes
Ron Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2014

So the "build and release" from JIRA means to build (from bamboo) and release (the jira version or closing out that version). In other words, "release" doesn't actually release your software.

Hey Ron,

thank you for your response. I can't eally imagine that this isn't possible :( I'd configured a "work around" which triggers (in case that all artefact builds are fine) a deployment to a "dummy system" using the release version number from jira (something like "${bamboo.jira.version}"). Bamboo than automatically creates a release of the last build artefacts. But in my opinion a bad solution because you need a dummy deployment system..

Regards

Suggest an answer