Jira plugin that switches rich formatting on/off on the fly

Pavel Rappo August 1, 2014

It would be useful to have a checkbox (or similar control)

[x] allow rich formatting

below description/comments. Has anybody heard of such a plugin?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2014

I don't see a way that you could toggle this functionality off and on without getting really gritty with the jira development.

It may just be better to try a different rich text option: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.jiraeditor.jeditor

0 votes
Pavel Rappo August 2, 2014

Thanks, Nic. But unfortunatelly this is not suitable for a scenario I have. Some of our users don't want to use wiki markup. And they don't want their data to interpreted as a markup'ed data. They also find unacceptable to enclose their text in a {noformat} tag. We don't want to put them in a separate project or give them a separate set of issues (with the only difference that they come with a simple renderer rather than rich text one) -- that will only confuse people and make the whole system less comfortable to use. So we need something more flexible in this case.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2014

No, there isn't one - you eithrer use wiki markup or you don't. If you enable it, then to use plain text, don't enter any wiki markup!

Pavel Rappo August 2, 2014

Thanks, Nic. But unfortunatelly this is not suitable for a scenario I have. Some of our users don't want to use wiki markup. And they don't want their data to interpreted as a markup'ed data. They also find unacceptable to enclose their text in a {noformat} tag. We don't want to put them in a separate project or give them a separate set of issues (with the only difference that they come with a simple renderer rather than rich text one) -- that will only confuse people and make the whole system less comfortable to use. So we need something more flexible in this case.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2014
I don't see how adding an arbitrary and confusing flag to every text field makes it more simple. The way to simplify the is for a subset of your users is to tell them to use plain English and not try to do any of the cclever formatting that they already say that they don't want to do. Plain writing means no markup, and hence no formatting. It can't get "more flexible" than "don't write formatted stuff if you don't need it"
Pavel Rappo August 8, 2014

Nic, I feel a bit of negativity. There's no need to. I should've mentioned this before, but it slipped my mind. Sorry, my fault. One thing that makes this use case special, is that there are ennormous amount of issues already in the tracker. Some of them use characters and combinations of characters which will be regarded as markdown should we turn the rich editing on. We want to avoid that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2014

Yes, I see that, it was quite negative. My point was that it would add complexity and inconsistency, for no real gain. For your case, I'd simply leave it disabled.

Suggest an answer