Jira permissions: running daily in front of the beamer

Ruben Sadoyan February 3, 2013

Dear community,

I am facing a challenge to use JIRA with greenhopper on two different projets: one with utilization of default assignee and the other more open - without default assignee function. As I've learned this setting cannot be controlled per project within same installation, so I've tried the following workaround:

I've created user called "nobody" and made him default assignee for the project.

But the issue is that to be able to take tasks assigned to nobody and move them in Jira board during the stand-up (or of any other user).

I may, though edit them and assigne to required team member, but then I am still not able to move them since logged in as admin user. Re-logging in with different user in a stand-up does not work as eats up a lot of time etc...

How I can change the permission in the way so that able to move tasks assigned to any user, and move them around the board regardless who is the owner on the task within single login?

Thanks in advance,

Aquarius.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

if i understand it right the issue that is assigned to user "nobody" can't be moved into different columns on board?

every move to an other column is a transition.

1. you may check your workflow for possible transitions.

2. you may check the conditions on the transitions that there is no "only assignee condition" or "Permission Condition" set for transitions you want NON-Assignees or to perform

have a look at

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-conditions

Ruben Sadoyan February 3, 2013

Dear C.Faysal,

Many thanks for your response.

I am quite new to Jira can you dive in a bit more details where to change these settings, I am under default workflow copy and seem lost :(

Thanks,

Aquarius.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

no problem. welcome aboard.

so you say you use Jiras default workflow.

that means if your Issues are in status "Open" only the reporter can proceed to the next step because the condition on "Start Progress" is set to "Only the assignee of the issue can execute this transition."

what i recommend is copiing the Default Workflow and modify it to fit your needs.

Jira Default Workflow is a System Workflow and therefor not editable.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

so here we go.

Step 1)

browse to your workflowsand choose "copy" on "jira (Read-only System Workflow)"

Step 2)

after you named your copy you will be able to edit the steps/transition etc inside it. so first click on the transition "Start Progress"

you will get this

now you can delete this condition what will allow other users to perform "Start Progress" on the issue.

Step 3)

create a new workflow scheme and associate your previously created flow to it.

next window will ask for issue-types to assiciate the workflow with

you can start by choosing all unassigned to your new flow.

Step 4)

edit your project and add the new Workflow or switch Scheme to the newly created one.

Suggest an answer