Jira outgoing mail Read timed out

HP February 4, 2015

Hi there,

I have a timeout setting: 10 seconds for my JIRA Outgoing mail server setting. Today, we found some error email in the error queue. From server log, it show Read time out error.

com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
  nested exception is:java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

We tried to send the error mail, and it throw the same error "Read time out error"

It seem happened on certain email as most of the emails were able be delivered. We performed the telnet command from JIRA server and it able to connect and sent out the test email.THere is no issue on the outgoing mail server.

Did anyone face the similar issue before and any workaround for this?

Other that adjust the time out error per link here, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Read+Timed+Out+Error+When+Sending+Outbound+Mail+from+JIRA , do anyone have any idea to check and resolve this?

1 answer

0 votes
anfield leung June 25, 2015

I got the same problem. However, I am able to receive the outbound notification (more than 1). It seems like system treat it as failed and non-stop retry / resend. Anybody can help on this? I am not sure the problem is from JIRA / JEMH.

Suggest an answer