Jira notification email sender's address

Michael Schlueter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

I have selected the Jira Default Notification Schema for a project. In the project I can choose the email address that is used as sender for the notification email. I used the project lead email address here.

The result of this configuration is that if some developer changes an issue the team receives an notification email with

This is very confusing, because the reply will got to the project lead and not the developer which changed the issue. Is there a way to use the email address of the user who changed the issue in the notification email?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

That is not an option in JIRA now. The email address will be either the one defined in the project or the globally defined one.

Larry_West February 20, 2014

This is a surprising omission.

Imagine if JIRA had initially implemented notifications as anyone would expect, using email addresses of users as the "Sender:" address. I would guess you would consider the current setup as a worthy enhancement, but not essential.

But somehow the nice-to-have got implemented first and no one has ever gone back to implement the simpler "just use the right address" functionality.

Generally the email notifications are well done, but this particular issue causes a lot of wasted time and frustration as email chains get started with one bad address (the originator!) and then further replies get confusing as people remember to add in the originator's actual address a few minutes later.

Which is a long way of saying I am really looking forward to Atlassian adding in "use the user's email address" as an option for notification sender addresses.

Thanks,

Larry

avivsinai October 26, 2014

John, are there any plans in the roadmap to address this? To be able to better configure Sender email address.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2014

Aviv, I am not sure as I don't work for Atlassian :) You might want to check if there are any open feature requests.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2014

I believe the "Email This Issue" plugin might do what you want. There is at at least an option called "Send email with user as the Sender" in the default email configuration section.

Suggest an answer