Jira not writing mail logs

Geoff Tanner March 20, 2013

I run Jira 5.0.1 on Win2003/SQL server. I am trying to troubleshoot a few mail issues. Up till about a month ago I can see a mail log in "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\log\atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log".

I can send test emails to the person who is having a problem, but notificatoins do not seem be sent.

I am using an SMTP server rather than JNDI.

However, there is no data in that file since 7 Feb 2013. The last restart I did was 21 March 2013. I am not aware of any changes in the setup over the last few months. Can anyone suggest what would be stopping any SMTP logging?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2013

Hi Geoff

Have you check whether the mail logging has been set to ON ?

You can go to (Administration > System > Troubleshooting and Support > Logging & Profiling > Mail) to have a look on it.

Hope it helps :)

Cheers

Geoff Tanner March 21, 2013

Daryl, thanks for the pointer, so not know why I missed that in the doco. I went in and turned the mail logging to Debug. I have since turned it off again, but it seems to be logging. Also, interestingly, the person to whom I was having trouble sending mail was able to receive the test I sent via a comment in the issue.

I do not know if that has fixed something, or if the proble,m will recur. Will keep an eye on it.

Regards
Geoff

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2013

Hi Geoff,

First, you might want to check if the mail logging is enabled via Administrations > Logging & Profiling > Mail .

Suggest an answer