Jira not starting giving error 1.

Jared Landress November 3, 2015

Recently (as in yesterday) upgraded to JIRA 7

Trying to run the standard start_service.bat when the windows server starts up.

The response we get is

The Atlassian JIRA service is starting.
The Atlassian JIRA service could not be started.

A service specific error occured: 1.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3547.

after typing NET HELPMSG 3547 at the command prompt we get

A server specific error occured: ****.

Now if we got to the BIN\ directory and run start-jira.bat JIRA starts (but tomcat runs as an open command window and the user can't log off or it stops running again)

System Information
Memory 48gb
CPU Intel Xeon E5-2690

Database:
SQL Server 2012 Standard

Other Applications
This server is exclusively for development control software

• JIRA
  • STASH
  • (PENDING) Bamboo

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Knut Arne Ristebråten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2015

I had the same issue.

Ended up with reinstalling the JIRA service with the service.bat file in \Atlassian\JIRA\bin

In cmd \Atlassian\JIRA\bin: service.bat remove

Restart PC/Server

In cmd \Atlassian\JIRA\bin: service.bat install

As explained in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/running-jira-as-a-service-185729610.html

sevenedus April 26, 2017

Seems it happens after each JAVA update.

1 vote
aleksbelic October 23, 2017

It happened to me after Java update. Reinstalling the service did the job BUT DON'T(!) forget to restart your computer between removing JIRA service and reinstalling it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2015

I ran into this a few weeks ago.  In my case, it was something to do with a dll that was needed (although it shouldn't have been)

Can you check what version of Java you are running?  I fixed mine by getting rid of Java 1.6 (which JIRA 7 doesn't  run on anyway), but if you are on 1.7 or 1.8, then try copying  msvcr71.dll from the Java bin directory to the Tomcat bin directory

Jared Landress November 6, 2015

Unfortunately this did not help.

any other ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2015

Not really, there's something broken in Windows and its clashing with a weakness or possible bug in JIRA. I'd read the log files for JIRA next, see if there are any clues in there (atlassian-jira.log and Catalina.out), but then I'd raise this with Atlassian (because if it is a weakness or bug in the JIRA installer, they've probably seen it more than once)

Like Adria Alonso likes this
lokesh m June 27, 2018

Same issue find here. i did above steps. i got the error as below.Capture.PNG

Please can any one help to fix above error.

Suggest an answer